View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aevans410
Last night, JV game, Its windy as hell (which may have helped the little bit of confusion), I have the bases. R1, 1 out, batter tips a ball with a little bit of an arc on it directly to the catchers glove. The catcher gloves it. I see no signal from the PU but the catcher fires down to 1st base. F3 takes the throw on the bag but attempts a swipe tag which is way too late. I signal safe, catcher and pitcher say he didn't beat the ball to the bag. I then realize what may have happened and ask PU if he ruled catch or foul tip. He did indeed rule catch, I then had a retouch situation and banged the runner. The coach came out to discuss it (he was a little heated at first), once we told him what had happened he understood it and we played on. We got the call right. Between innings before going out to my position in short right field, he told me he did call catch, but didn't signal it until after I had pivoted with the ball. I didn't hear the "catch" call due to the wind I'd imagine (F3 didn't hear it either apparently, he attempted a swipe tag). The catch/foul tip call could have gone either way. What would you guys have done in that situation? I try to get my own calls when I can, going for help when needed. Should I have went to the PU before I made my call?

#2.

2 man mechanincs me being in A position. Last night I had 2 instances where I came in and set to call the play at 1, and the throw got away from F3. Both times the play was close, and the throws weren't that bad. I couldn't cut in front of the runner because he was rounding at the time the ball got away. I waited and made sure he touched first, then cut behind him into the alley and took him to second that way. I'm in fairly good shape and quick enough to get into a good position and gain the angle at 2. Is there a better way to take the runner to 2 in this situation?
It sounds to me like your partner got caught with is pants at his knees and was afraid to fess up. A "little bit of arc", sounds different than NFHS 2-6-2, "A fly ball is a batted ball which travels an appreciable height above the ground." When caught, your partner should be announcing and out or catch. Then you would have known to react differently on the throw to first. Then again, you were able to convince the coach that everything was according to Hoyle. Had to been there!!!!

"Is there a better way to take the runner to 2 in this situation?" In NYC they will tell you to use the "A" train. In reality, most of the time your not going to get in front of the runner safely. Let them pass and head for the area behind the mound, always working to get the best angle from where you anticipate that throw. Which, probably in most cases isn't coming anyway. I usually head for that area, pivot and open myself to where the ball is, and look for the throw as I am getting a better angle.