Thread: Great Game!
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:21am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
I think he is serious, and I question whether you can be serious. A smack to the face/ eyes is not incidental contact. I think the referees just missed it/ didn't see it. Also, I don't think it caused him to lose the ball. In my view he was passing it back out to the point and after he released it he got smacked. I believe this is why the officials missed it.

When it comes to contact with the face, most of the time it is not incidental. I don't think Brown did it intentionally and was trying to make a play for the steal he just happened to miss the ball entirely and whacked Noel across the grill.

We have an official in our chapter who is a former NBA official. He once told me that if a player grabs his face or eyes, 99% of the time he got fouled, because, although players will fake some injuries, they never fake getting poked in the eye or smacked across the nose.

Don't confuse the terms incidental with accidental. It was an accident to hit him across the face which still equals a foul if the officials see it. It was definately not incidental contact. I would hope that if you did see that in your game you would call it.

It also tells me that the officials missed how it happened b/c they stopped the game immediately when they realized he was hurt to check on him.
Just because the officials stopped play does not indicate a missed call.
Someone getting smacked in the face is contact, right? Contact occurs all the time without a whistle, right? IMO this contact in this game wasn't something to call. I would like to see it again and maybe I would change my mind but from what I remember it was just one of those plays where someone (accidentally ) gets hit in the face. Unless I see the play again, I'm serious.