View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 03, 2005, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

tim,

It is funny you should ask this question, and funny also you are from Virginia! Have you been talking with Henry Pollard? (also from Virginia)

Why is all this funny to me? The wife and I have just returned from our state ASA clinic (I mean JUST returned, about an hour ago!). Henry Pollard was the clinician, along with Kinard Latham. The weather was kinda rough so we did both days in the gym, but the group was so small this year we actually did a lot of rules stuff, and were encouraged to ask the "what if" scenarios.

The question you posed is the identical question posed to us by Henry as a thought question.

A couple of things to think about;

When the runner from 2B was retired was the runner originally at 3B still forced home by the base on balls?

The base on balls is an awarded base, but to whom? That would be the BR, other runners may move up if forced to do so!

When the question was first posed, I beleive we all said yes the run scores, the runner at 3B was "awarded" the base. Then Henry looked straight at me and said, "Let me ask you another question" I said (smiling) "I don't think I want to answer any more questions!"

We continued to discuss, and Henry did tell us ASA has interpreted this play as "run does NOT count", yet NCAA interprets as "run DOES count" (assumed to be based on the award of base on balls applies to all runners if forced).

I don't remember this being said, but the Mrs does, This was an actual NCAA play.

I am still gonna look hard at this play, cause I'm still a bit confused on it, I can see the case being made both ways but Henry's explanation was really clear as a bell. I just hope I never have that happen on the field!