View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 03, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewm
We had our first chance to try a pickoff from the windup in a USSSA league tournament yesterday. Prior to our first game I spoke with the plate ump outside the fence away from everybody. He knew about the rule and told me generally what he would look for regarding a balk. Very nice guy and helpful. Also called a great game. We didn't get a chance to try the pickoff from a windup in that game though.

In our second game we had different umps. At game time we were short one ump, so while we were waiting for the umps to show, I spoke with the one we had. He was unsure about the rule and told me he would have to call a balk. I politely mentioned the difference between OBR and FED in this particular case and he told me he would definitely read up on it when he got home. But for now, he would have to call a balk. Fair enough. With this feedback, we had planned to not try it.

Finally, the second ump arrived, who was going to be behind the plate. He was a well-known crusty old guy that generally most coaches do not like. Definitely not a guy that will stand for any arguments from the coaches. About halfway through the first inning, the base ump that I spoke with prior to the game was replaced. So we now had two umps, neither of which I had previously talked to. To make a real long story somewhat shorter, it wasn't until we were long out of the game and we made a pitching change that I wanted to try it. I told the other coaches, we had nothing to lose, and I had a good feeling about the crusty old guy. Sure enough, first pitch my son makes a perfectly legal pickoff attempt from the windup to first base. Didn't get the guy out, but other team screams balk. Our other coaches started to say something but I told them to quiet down and lets see what happens. I'll ask the ump for clarification if we get balked. The umps confer, call nothing. Offensive coach questions them, gets the answer and play moves on.

I just wanted to thank you guys for all your advice on the way to handle the situation. Keep up the good work.
Just out of curiosity - where were the runners? I'm assuming 1st and 2nd, or bases loaded.

Also - was your 1st baseman holding the runner? He should not have. The best way to do that pickoff play is to make it a "timing" play - where the fielder breaks for the bag then the pitcher makes the move.

Our team calls this a "backdoor pickoff" - it's whenever we attempt to pickoff a trail runner. We use that term as a reminder to the fielders that, should the runner end up in a rundown, our fielders are not to throw the ball -rather- to simply force the picked-off runner toward the advance base, thus flushing the more advanced runners of the base. Our ultimate goal is to put out the most advanced runner.

You got a good lesson in how common it is for umpires not to understand this rule. My guess is - if you asked 10 youth league umpires about the legality of a pickoff from the windup, you would get a split of about 50/50 on the topic.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN