View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Let me explain my concern about introducing the little ball game into the big ball game discussions.

Last night during a state clinic, I had to step into the middle of one of my deputy's presentations to literally retake control of the clinic.

There was a new umpire who is going through training to work baseball at the same time he is trying to umpire softball. I don't agree with getting into umpiring two games at the same time, but that is not my call.

The clinician was trying to calm this guy down and did everything short of telling him to shut up and sit down.

No matter what the scenario presented by this clinician, this gentleman started every sentence with "In baseball". Regardless of the response, this guy would not give up on his "that's not what baseball teaches" attitude. My deputy handled everything with a smile and kept her composure. However, when I saw the confusion appear on the faces of the others in the clinic, I realized that I had to step in and get this young man to understand it is two different games.

Now, if he wants to go off and stick with his beliefs, there isn't much I can do about that. However, it isn't fair to my staff and the other umpires who are there to learn the ASA game. The interjection of another organization or game simply dilutes any substantial discussion intended to improve an umpire's understanding, confidence and ability to officiate an ASA softball game.

Trust me, Mark. You wouldn't want us jumping on the basketball, baseball or any other board and arguing situtations citing logic or spirit or intent of their rules with a softball tone.