View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
Now you know the rules send you off to ponder your navel in R field or some damn place..
Speaking ASA

I hate this mechanic. As a PU, I want to have the ability to talk to my partner between innings. As a BU, I want to have the ability to talk to my partner between innings.

A softball game evolves as it progresses. I don't care how much you cover in a pre-game, things change. I think that the ability to have a simple, quiet conversation between innings is a positive thing for a crew.

Now, when the BU comes into the PU between innings, it's a noticeable exception and can only raise questions in the minds of those who know the mechanics.

And the excuse for the mechanic is extremely week. They wanted to remove the umpire from a possibly confrontational position as the team leaves the field. Bull! An umpire's responsibilities alone places them in an adversarial position on every pitch.

Wish they would change it back.