View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KBoy
All you have to do is witness one injury from a foul ball that hits the batter in the face to agree that face masks are a good idea. It is my guess that the opponents of face masks have never seen this type of injury.
You make it sound like there were people who thought masks should be illegal. I am not an "opponent of face masks". I am a proponent of parental responsiblity and an opponent of the nanny mentality that we all need to be mandated to remain in out protective bubbles "for our own good."
Quote:
Originally posted by KBoy
As far as Federation rules and chin straps, there is a requirement that the helmet fit properly and be worn properly. If both these are true, I do not believe chin straps would be necessary.
Do you think Sarah Fekete's helmet fit properly? Do you think she was wearing it properly? Did that prevent the broken jaw?

Personally, now that the line has been crossed and masks are mandated for NFHS, the face mask makes the helmet more likely, not less likely, to wobble out of place. Therefore, chin straps should be used with a mask.

Should chin straps be mandated? Since masks have been mandated, I think straps should be, too.