View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
ASA people, be honest. Is it really going to cut down on injuries at the high school level?
Don't know and don't care. The rule is a result of a mandate set by parents and coaches, not by ASA.

ASA never kept people from wearing helmets with a cage on them. However, the busybodies who insist they know what's better for everyone's child demanded that ASA make their use mandatory.

How many years have you heard that ASA, NSA, USSSA, etc. never listen to the people, ignore what's good for the game, yada, yada, yada?

Well, because ASA rules and code are enacted by the people involved in the game from around the country and not some ivory tower, the rule was passed and put into place. However, since ASA was not dictating a player wear this equipment, their legal department thought it best that there be a standard upon which they could stand should any problems occur. Smart lawyers, must be why they get the big bucks. That caused the year's delay in enactment.

Now, with more than 18 months notice, people are whining about the expense, and the inconvenience the rule has caused the cheap and lazies.

When it first came about, many, including myself, wanted to know why if this was such a major issue, the masses spent more time complaining about ASA's lack of a rule instead of going out and purchasing a mask for their kid.

I'm tired of hearing all the whining and crying about this issue. I have a 14U & 16U NQ this year, and I'm going to do everything I can to hold myself together. However, I'm not going to hesitate to inform anyone that the road which brought them to the complex will just as easily take them away from the complex.

Rant off!