View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

There's also a lot of discussion on these kinds of situations with "quality throw."

The running lane violation is a special case of interference. Speaking ASA, it specifically requires interference "with the fielder taking the throw at first base".

WMB didn't mention if there was a double base, if so, with the play developing as stated, I would expect that F4 would be taking the orange base, expecting F2 to step into foul territory to make the throw.

Nonetheless, ...

A – F2 attempts to finesse throw just missing B-R, but F4 cannot pick up path of ball quick enough to make a catch.

BR out. Interference with F4 attempting to take the throw.

B – F2 tries to put ball over the top of B-R, but only succeeds in sending it over the top of F4.

Possible BR out, unless the throw is just too horrible. If it is a "quality lob" - - then BR out.

C – F2 raises her arm to throw, but gives up and does not throw.

Nothing. Being out of the running lane may have interfered with F2, but not F4.

D – F2 makes a medium speed throw that hits B-R in the middle of the lower back. (In your mind the ball would not have reached 1B in flight due the low trajectory.)

Doesn't have to reach in flight. Fielders can handle first bouncers (usually). If the throw had a shot at being successful except for the BR, then BR out.

E – F2 hesitates, steps to the left to find a clear throwing lane and guns the ball to F4, but too late.

I'd be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the defense here, but this one is HTBT for me.