View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: Mmmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"The worst thing I have seen an umpire do is critize another official in public or in private for that matter. I think that far outways any mistake made on the field, because most of the mistake made on the field where learned from someone else."

------------------------------------------------------

The general errors I see on the field (and also on sites such as this) are not learned behavior.

Most umpire errors come from failing to understand what is happening around them and how it can (does) impact the game.

The ONLY way an umpire can learn is to be criticized. Nothing is worth doing unless it is worth measuring. Evaluation and a critical review are parts of growing, it may not be trendy to disagree with you but I do.
I'll agree that evals should be done so an official, requardless of the sport could have the opportunity to improve. I say opportunity because some think they are already perfect and that they are not getting games they "deserve" due to political reasons, and will disreguard the eval. I personnally welcome being evaled from umpires I have the respect for, and that I know will do things right. I also agree that nothing annoys me more than hearing someone say you did alright and then nothing else. If I am only alright then what do I need to be good. I hear that quite a bit in basketball where I know I am still learning. I think some basketball officials are not at all helpful of newer refs for whatever reason. Baseball and football seems to be totally different in that requard.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.