View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 05:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
1) My concern with this play and I have seen it run many times is that the offensive player is gaining an advantage when they jump out of bounds to make the toss across the key.

2) In the NFHS rules book under the heading of Points of Emphasis page 70 it states, "Players must play the game within the confines of the playing court. Otherwise, a tremendous advantage is gained by allowing a team or player more space than allowed."

3) If the rules require a defensive player to establish defensive guarding position inbounds and maintain it inbounds, then why are we giving an advantage to the offensive player by allowing him/her to jump and land out of bounds to make a pass. They are not saving the ball nor is their momentunm carrying them out of bounds. They are deliberately jumping out of bounds to avoid the defense. It should be fair for both offensive and defensive players at the same time. In my book, this is a technical foul and another reason this rule should be changed to a violation.
1) Say what? When did the player jump OOB to make the toss across the key. The toss across the key was made by a player that was in bounds, by rule. The player went OOB after making a play--no different than a shooter going OOB after making a lay-up. Do you wanna "T" those plays up too?

2) When exactly is the player making the pass in this play not not within the confines of the playing court, pray tell? Isn't he completely in bounds when he makes the pass? How can the POE apply to an in-bounds player?

3) When did anybody allow a player to "jump and land out of bounds to make a pass" in this play? The pass was made in-bounds by an in-bounds player.

There is absolutely no rules justification to call a technical foul on this play. It is completely legal, as per the rules. The FED POE was issued to stop players from going OOB to gain an advantage. You can't penalize them for making a legal play before they go OOB.