View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 03, 2001, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Should we be offended when a referee calls players "guys"? I don't think it is a big deal because the referee is only using a generic term to refer to the players ("players" is a better term) and is not trying to offend anyone.
Quote:
I'm not a big feminist wymyn-only type of gal, and I understand that most men are not misogynists. So that's why I wrote up that little agreement at the top of the discussion -- I'll agree to be less touchy, if you'll be more sensitive. Get it?
Ok, by me.
I am not offended when someone says "guys" -- else there are a lot of restaurants I wouldn't eat in. I only responded to the word because Mark Padgett noted that he was trying to be gender neutral, and I was suggesting that "guys" is not dependably seen as neutral. I wouldn't have even mentioned it if Mark and I had not discussed it before, but he and I each know where each stands on this subject, and so I wasn't afraid of offending him.

I must say that there are very few refs that I have had a problem with (Mark included), and many coaches that don't have a problem with my gender. Boys are usually a little uncertain what to think at first but usually adjust quickly. But the few that do make an issue of it are loud enough that sometimes it just feels overwhelming -- one reason (not the only one) there ar so few women refs.

This board has been very hospitable to me, and I have appreciated it. I hope all of us will keep working to make this a safe place for expressions of opinion, and of personal reaction.