View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol Blue
This happened in an ASA State championship tournament, and I wasn't one of the umpires involved......really.

Top of the sixth inning lead off batter singles, next batter singles now runners on 1B and 2B. Before pitch to the third batter of the inning coach wants to appeal BOO.
This is were things start to go bad. The runner on second the leadoff batter of the inning is the FLEX. DP is in the lineup and had made the last out of the previous inning, also the FLEX had been batting the entire game without anyone noticing. This isn't BOO because the FLEX wasn't batting in any of the first nine positions she was batting 10th IMO. If you did go with BOO then she is ok because a pitch was thrown to the next batter who is now on first and the correct batter is at the plate. I would probably go with illegal batter because the Flex batted while the DP was still in the game, but can this be appealed after a pitch to the next batter?
Someone please help me w/ the difference here between ASA and NFHS. In NFHS, Flex hitting in any position except for DP = illegal sub. Called out if still at bat or on base and restricted to bench. Is this different in ASA? If not, then I'd have 2 outs, and bases empty, w/ batter listed 2nd in order at bat. (I'd rule that Flex (illegal sub) B'dOO for B1, then B1 batted for B2.) It appears from answers it must be different, but can anyone tell me how?