Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Dave:

I am just confused as to how your advice could be implimented.

Balks,as balls and strikes, are not an issue that can be argued.

As you could not enter the field to talk with me it seems impossible to use your trap in a game where real umpires umpire.

Seems like this should be a private e-mail between rats.
Mr. C: I'd be interested in your citation to support your assertion that a coach/manager cannot "enter the field" to discuss a balk. According to the MLBUM, the only balk where he cannot leave his position is one having to do with the pitcher stepping toward a base. All other balks are fair game.

MLBUM 7.5(e) A manager, coach, or player may not come onto the field or leave his position to protest the call of a balk as defined in Official Baseball Rule 8.05(c) (failure to step directly towards a base before throwing there). If such protest is made, the manager, coach, or player shall be ejected from the game.

MLBUM 7.5(f) A manager may come out and question the reason for a balk call (other than a step balk) and shall not be ejected for his visit to learn why the balk was
called. He may be ejected if he argues the call after explanation.

I mention this because often on Message Boards umpires get urban myths masquerading as rules.
I'll let Tee speak for himself, but in my view and experience, there is a world of difference between a manager "questioning" the reason for a balk and "arguing" the balk. I have no problem with the manager, or in my case, the skipper coming out and asking why I called a balk. If after receiving the answer he chooses to remain and argue, he do so at his own peril.
And I - and the MLBUM - agree with you. Reread Tee's post: He says the manager isn't going to come out at all. Just over-reaching on his part, I guess.
I guess you and I just read what Tee wrote differently:

Balks,as balls and strikes, are not an issue that can be argued.

I read that as he will not allow the skipper to "argue" a balk call. Neither will I. And according to your agreement with my post, neither will you.
I'll type this slowly, so everyone can follow along. (grin) Tee said: "As you could not enter the field to talk with me it seems impossible to use your trap in a game where real umpires umpire."

Tee is not the only umpire who thinks that those who leave their position to "discuss" a balk are to be automatically ejected.

Wiggle how you will, that's what he said. And what he said is wrong.