View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 29, 2001, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: Sure Trip to Bronco ball 1 man games

Quote:
Originally posted by BJ Moose
Lets [sic] watch him make 1st base pickoff calls from "C" with R1 only. It won't matter a hoot if they are RIGHT or WRONG... all we know is the managers will notice the umpire a mile away from the play and hoot and hollar and have a spastic fit. And after hearing that "I have a better angle", will be tossed due to their expletive deleted response.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I've had this discussion -- or one like it -- many times. Regardless of which side I take, someone espousing the party line of the PRO school takes me to task.

Situation: R2 heads for third on a throw across the diamond from F5. Some (PRO grads) says that both calls belong to the BU. I argue the PU should take the play at third.

"But, no, Carl," I am told. "Where have you been? Angle v distance, you know: The field umpire does not need to get NEAR the play at third; all he needs is the correct angle, and that's easy!" Result: Carl "loses" that argument in the eyes of the wannabees.

Now I suggest that an umpire in C has a much better ANGLE for the pick-off at first because he can cheat closer to the plate without destroying his perfect 90-degree ANGLE for the steal of second.

"But, no, Carl," I am told. "Don't you know that an umpire cannot call a pick-off play at first from that distance? Every coach will jump on him. He'll wind up in a permanent one-man 'crew.' Distance is everything!" Result: Carl "loses" that argument in the eyes of the wannabees.

I have always suggested four steps toward improving the mechanics in any association:

1. Convince just one top dog -- and the rest is easy.
  2. Ask your assignor for permission to try out some of the "risky" mechanics on small diamonds, where the umpire is already closer than usual to plays. The Mustang Field is ideal for that.
  3. Remember to use the accepted mechanics until you have someone's ok.
  4. Finally, ask whoever is in charge where you should stand with runners on the corners. All roads lead to Rome, they say. If he says Position C with runners on the corners, then you're three quaters of the way across the Tiber.

Aside from worrying about my candidate umpire's future, what's your thinking about having a better angle at first from the C-side of the diamond? How do you feel about B v C with a runner on first only?