View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 09:39pm
Administrator

The last time I read the NFHS and NCAA/CCA Manuals, which was about five minutes ago, the official will raise his arm and show a clenched fist for a foul and raise his arm and show an open hand for anything that is not a foul.

I am a member of IAABO's Visualization and Education Committee (which is chaired by Edgar Cartotto, Men's/Women's Supervisor, Northwest Conf.), and I can tell you that the NFHS and NCAA Rule Committees want officials to raise their hands per the Mechanics Manuals. The problem that those of us who are charged with instructing new and experienced officials is that too many camp administrators think that they are above the Rules Committees and want to teach unauthorized mechanics.

There is a reason for an official to raise his hand and to show either a closed fist or an open hand. And that reason is COMMUNICATION. Communication with his partners, the scorer/timer table, the players, and the coaches.

I can assure you that people like Edgar Cartotto or Peter Webb (IAABO President and two time member of the NFHS Rules Committee) and other people who are involved the education of basketball officials believe in doing it the correct way because there is only one way to officiate and that is the correct way.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio