View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Dang, Mike.

That's twice today you've issued a comment that specifically muddies the waters of the question. Many of us look to you, specifically, as the "guru" of rules, or (at least on this board) the final authority.

You must be having a bad day. This comment doesn't add anything to the discussion or answer the issue at hand, at least not specifically enough.

Are you alluding to (but obviously not simply STATING) the notion that a batter, after a dropped third strike, who nears her dugout (say, for example, the third base dugout), but doesn't enter it, has her first base glove thrown to her by a teammate, trucks across the field to 1st base to begin receiving throws during infield while the pitcher warms up, and then steps on 1st base after, say, the 3rd throw... should be then called "SAFE!!!!" . Or worse - she never touches, then when the other team grounds out and she makes what she thinks is the out at 1st base, you THEN yell, "SAFE!!!" and clear the offense off the field to let them continue batting.

Or even worse, she was the last "out" of the last inning, runs to third to get in line with her teammates, shakes the hands of the other team and touches first after shaking the last hand. "SAFE!!!!"

Yes, this is purposely absurd. But I use it to illustrate the point.

By the rules I see (and reinforced by your one issue-muddying comment), I can't find a true rule for calling her out. At which point during the above sequence do you decide she's out?
Please note that this was a HS discussion. If you haven't noticed, I try avoid jumping in Federation-based (assumption, based on majority of HS play)rules discussions unless someone asks for other sanctioning body's rules or interps.

I was responding directly to Greymule as he mentioned ASA and his note of how coaches think of runner's losing their ability to advance to 1st base.