View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

>>The clock must be reset to the time that the officials definitely knew was on the clock and this is 3.18 seconds.<<

There's no authority by any rule that I'm aware of for a reset. The rule allowing the official to correct the time requires "definite" knowledge; i.e., he knew what was on the clock and what should have been on the clock, albeit not to a precise degree.

When you start speaking of "definite knowledge" then its just as correct to allow the game to end as it did originally (with no more than 2 seconds unaccounted for), since the officials do not have definite knowledge 3.18 seconds did not elapse. If they did have such knowledge, then they know what time to reset the clock at and potentially allow a throw in, and it isn't 3.18, and not a redo.

At least I can see a throw in after the first screw up. Is there anyone that can justify a third redo?

Don't get yourself in this situation: unless you have definite knowledge, declare the game over and get off the court. You may have made a mistake, but you will certainly make a bigger mistake if you stay out there. The team that loses isn't going to like the outcome, and doing it five times isn't going to make them like it any better.