Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
No one really has complained or ignored my advice like this guy. If he wants to make up his own rules, then he should give the game to someone who will give the players a properly reffed game.
You clearly just don't get it. Maybe when you grow up you will. Good luck.
What arrogance on your part.

IMO Ref18 is 100% correct in his concern over this situation. The league itself is also to some extent to blame in this for not providing training for the volunteer refs.
Arrogance on my part? That's funny. So the both of you think a volunteer ref should be every bit as schooled as a paid one? That's brilliant. If the league wanted trained refs, they could pay for them. What "situation" is so significant that it should raise everyone's concern? Is it that a volunteer made a potentially bad call? The horror of it all. God knows trained refs never make a bad call...

No where am I expecting him to be as trained as we are, but I am expecting some level of training. At the beginning of the season, I ran a training clinic for all refs in this league, he didn't show. At it I covered several of the myths about basketball officiating and some other misconceptions, this was one of them. If you are going to volunteer, then volunteer to do your best game. Don't slack off because it's only the kids who suffer.
What does "then volunteer to do your best game" mean to you? Never make a mistake? Do you ever make a mistake? Just last week you made a statement regarding a backcourt violation situation that was blatantly wrong. Should you be castigated for that because you are expected to be perfect since you are "patched"? If the kids are suffering so much because they lost a game, then something else is very wrong here. You seem to think that because this guy didn't heed the advice of the master (you), he has no business being on the court, as a volunteer no less. What utter nonsense.