View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 03:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedyGonGoalie
I refed a game a few nights ago where a kid reached in and poked a player in the eye (he was ok). This was right at the end of the first half. Coming out of halftime, me and my partner (who is one of the best refs in intramurals) and I agreed to clean up the reaches (which I really hard for me, so I was impressed with myself when it worked). The first 4 or 5 trips down the floor, I called reaches. I reported them every time. I have no problem going to the table over and over again. At first a team will probably say something about letting stuff go. After that, they'll be so sick of seeing you go "Red 2-5 with the reach, out of bounds" over and over and not playing (we have a running clock most of the game) that they get the message and stop.
So you were calling personal fouls during a live ball when there was no contact? Not only that, you were calling a foul that doesn't exist. There had to have been a better way.
Myths perpetuated. These college kids end up having children of their own and screaming at officials who don't call "reaching in" during their 6th grade basketball game.