View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes. Just got back from a shift with a partner who fit the stereotype for a referee's worst nightmare. Well not quite, I'm sure there are worse.

Here's the scenerio.

We've got Team A who is playing REALLY aggressive, close to dirty. Lots of bumping and pushing and holding. Even on offense they'd lower their shoulders and plow right into guys. Team B kept their composure and played a clean game.

So obviously at halftime the foul count is something like 12 to 4 with Team A ahead. My partners come together and partner B who is just as much a rookie as I am, lets us know the foul count. I said ok. He then instructs us that we shouldn't call any more fouls on Team A until the foul count is closer to even. I told him thats not our job, if Team B wants to make the foul count closer they can.

Still the half begins and neither of my partners are blowing anything on Team A, making me look like the guy with the grudge or something. I had actually called a tech on a bench player for walking a step on the floor as I was coming up on the trail and yelling at me to "call that ****" in the first half.

Also on Team A you had Mr. Know-it-all who assured me that he was a certified referee and that I had called a charge when the defensive players feet were moving. I corrected him, I had called a Player Control foul when he plowed into the torso of the player with his feet moving after establishing Legal Guarding position. He told me I didn't know anything because the defense can't move their feet. As if that wasn't bad enough, later in the game after a no call on a clean block he comes up to me and shows me his hand which is a little bit red. He said, obviously you missed the call because it wasn't all ball. I reminded him that the hand is part of the ball. He said no thats not true. I asked him to bring me the rule telling me its not. He said ok. Can't wait lol.

So yea, Team A ended up winning the game because my partners weren't calling anything on them and Team B continued to play clean so weren't catching up in the foul count. Geez.

I should've known something was wrong the game before ( a blowout) when my partner thought we should call every touch foul on the team up 20 points to try to even things up on the scoreboard. I let him know I'll be calling things the same way. He looked confused and tried to pursuade me.

Rough night. lol.

Venting finishing