View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RollTide
As I was 'analyzing' the initial post, one particular part of the situation baffles me.

We're down to less than 5 seconds in a 2 point game and the visiting team has the ball. I'm wondering if this game was played without any fans in attendance, because you could hear a player close to the goal yell "pass it", and you could hear the passer/shooter yell "gotcha"???

Most of the games I've worked that came down to the last shot, we had trouble hearing our whistles or the horn because the of the decibel level of the screaming fans.

Do the players where you officiate wear microphones? lol
Speaking of that....

Friday night. Very small gym. Every seat taken and another 30-40 people standing in each corner of the gym. V down by 1 with a throwin on the frontcourt sideline in front of their bench with 1.1 seconds on the clock. The only clock in the gym is on the wall behind the baseline on this end and on the side opposite the table.

Two man mechanics. My partner is trail and is administering the throwin...has the last shot...etc. All players are ball side. I'm lead, on ball side.

A5 breaks toward basket, the noise is tremendous. Lob pass thrown into the paint. I'm all over it...clean...shot goes up...bounces on rim a couple of times, comes back down, rebounded by A, shoots again.

The place is flooded with noise...V is running around like they've won the game. I look to may partner for his call...he just stands there. After a couple of seconds has starts to make a very weak "count it" call. I can tell he's not sure and is guessing. I run out to him and ask...do you "know" if it was before the horn....did you hear the horn? He responded "no, I couldn't tell."

I tell my partner that, while I couldn't hear the horn either, I was counting as a backup and was well beyond 1.1 seconds. In addition, there is no way that a player can get off two shots in 1.1 seconds. The first was a 0.3-0.4 type of shot. The rebound and 2nd shot, was not as quick...more like 0.5-0.6. By the time you count the bouncing on the rim a couple of times, you have 1.5-2.0 seconds.

I confer with the scorer (who is provided by the home team...who will win if the shot is disallowed). He says the 2nd shot was well after time had expired.

His assessment agrees with mine.

My partner and I confer again. I/We cancel the bucket.