View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Living on the east coast, I do not see alot of PAC-10 games on TV. I probably watch 50-60 NCAA games a year. The officiating is strong. Do they miss calls? Of course they do. You can not be perfect in this job. But keep this in mind, even if you could be pefrect, you'd still get criticized because of the nature of the game. You have a block-charge call to make, you get the call right and the tape verifies this. Is everyone in the gym going to be happy?

I have seen many PAC-10 officials over the years. Dick Cartmell and Dave Libbey are consistently given Regional Finals and Final Four assignments. Someone thinks they are doing a consistent job.

The supervisor of officials in a conference would have a performance evaluation that is quite thorough. I am pretty sure that coaches and AD's comments would be taken in to consideration. I am also certain that the coaches opinions would not be the #1 criteria to determine an official's worhtiness. Last year, a HS coach called my assignor and told him he did not want me to officiate anymore of his games (mostly because of a technical foul I called). My assignor has given me his team 4 times this year. The assignor's question to the coach were: Did he warn you about your behaviour before the T? Was he unprofessional at any time? My assignor had confidence that I could do the job. The coach has not complained since, not formally
anyway.

I am not sure why you are so preoccupied with the PAC-10 officiating. Here is a suggestion. Join your local referees association and start officiating. Come back to this forum after a while. You will not be bringing up the same points.

Jay
Frankly, this thread just reminds me that March is coming and the fanboys will be coming out in full force to whine about the officiating. By then the only officiating I'll be doing will be in my mind.