Thread: big guys
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by stretch
Just an observation on high school: Player A is 6'10". Opposing center B is 6'4". Center B gets low and bumps A off the post and hits him low on shots. This is ignored or missed often. 6"10" player A commits equal or lesser contact than B. Player A invariably gets called. I've had three division 1A college coaches ask "why"? They contend there are two sets of rules re: contact; one for small guys, and another for the tall guys, meaning the tall guy rarely gets away with anything. Is it just that the tall guy is getting watched more closely? I'm spending more time as an observer, and I'm not sure even the principle of verticality is applied fairly to tall guys. Hate to say it, but I think the college coaches are correct. We're seeing a lot more very tall players in high school. Are all officials at the high school level prepared? These tall guys do make for a different kind of game.
Amount of contact doesn't determine legality or illegality of a play. If two players are the same size and they both jump more or less straight up and there's contact from the tip of the fingers to the tips of the toes, there's still no foul.

What I hear you saying is that the smaller player is displacing the taller one, and doing it dangerously in the case of "hitting low on shots". If the taller player is getting more contact, but not moving the smaller player, he's not committing a foul.