View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have tried to keep this based on the issue, but I have to take the gloves off a bit. First of all you do not know me. You know nothing about me. The only thing you know about me is what I decide to tell you. This for the record is really not that much.

WRONG, YOU CHOOSE TO TELL US MORE ABOUT YOU THAN ALMOST ANY OTHER POSTER. YOU HAVE THE LONGEST SIGNATURE ON THIS BOARD, I AM OBVIOUSLY SUPPOSED TO BE IMPRESSED WITH ALL YOUR AFFILIATIONS, ETC.

You do not know anything about my ability as an official, nor do you understand the kind of respect I have in my area with officials and coaches that I come in contact with.

PERHAPS YOU DO, BUT PERHAPS THE LEVEL OF RESPECT THAT IS AFFORDED YOU HAS GONE TO YOUR HEAD, AND NOW BELIEVE YOU ARE KING OF THE GYM, AND YOU WORD IS GOD'S WORD AND ABOVE REPROACH. YOU STILL HAVE GIVEN NO REASON FOR YOUR DECISION TO RULE THE WAY YOU DID. STILL NOT A THREAD OF LOGIC IN WHAT YOU SAY OTHER THAN... "BECAUSE I SAID SO"

You sound like an official that is influenced by whatever a coach or player wants.

IF A COACH WANTS SOMETHING THAT IS AGAINST THE RULES... OR IN MY JUDGEMENT WILL GIVE HIM UNFAIR COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE, NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. IF BOTH COACHES (AND PRESUMABLY GAME MANAGEMENT) WANT SOMETHING THAT IS MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL TO BOTH TEAMS AND THE GAME IN GENERAL, YES I WOULD ABSOLUTELY TAKE INTO ACCOUNT WHAT THE COACHES ASK FOR, AS LONG AS IT IS WITHIN THE RULES.

So if the coach wants you to not call certain things do you do it?

THATS JUST SILLY AND COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO THIS, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A JUDGEMENT CALL ON SOMETHING THAT IS NOT COVERED IN RULES.

Remember your logic is that you do what the coaches want you to do, without any rule any other consideration.

IF THE GYM WAS EXTRA NOISY, AND FOR WHATEVER REASON I WAS NOT GETTING MUCH VOLUME OUT OF MY WHISTLE, AND A COACH RESPECTFULLY ASKS ME TO BLOW IT A LITTLE LOUDER SO HIS PLAYERS COULD HEAR, I WOULD BE HAPPY TO TRY TO ACCOMADATE. THIS IS NO DIFFERENT. YOU DEMAND RESPECT FROM COACHES AND PLAYERS, IT IS NOT UNREASONABLE TO RETURN THE RESPECT AND HONOR BENIGN REQUESTS THAT ARE FOR THE GOOD OF BOTH TEAMS.

I have been working for a long time, mostly at the varsity level. I have almost never had both coaches and AD all agree on everything that takes place. I have been in situations where coaches agree, but the AD (or both ADs) has a different opinion. This past spring during the baseball season, my regional was the very last one to play because the two schools could not agree when to restart the championship game. This is not much of a different situation.

THIS IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SITUATION, THAT ONE IS CONTROVERSIAL, THIS ONE IS COMPLETELY BENIGN, AND ONLY BECOMES CONTROVERSIAL WHEN A REFEREE WOULD REFUSE TO AFFORD A LITTLE RESPECT TO THE COACHES AND PLAYERS AND ALLOW THEM 5 MINUTES TO WARM UP.

I have seen coaches complain about all kinds of things over the years and the officials have to decide what to do in the end. That is why we are paid and what the rules allow. If you think there needs to be a warm-up, what time is it acceptable and what is not acceptable. If you have a 10 minute delay (for whatever reason) do you advocate a warm-up? Does that time change when you have 12 minutes of delay? What about 16 minutes?

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT SETTING A POLICY, OR A GUIDELINE, WHICH IS WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, I AM TALKING ABOUT THIS ONE INCIDENT, ONE WHERE IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ALLOW THE WARMUP, AND YOU STILL HAVE YET TO BRING UP EVEN ONE SINGLE SOLITARY REASON WHY IT MAKES SENSE TO DENY THE REQUEST OTHER THAN... "BECAUSE I SAID SO". I USE THAT ON MY KIDS ALL THE TIME... IT DOESN'T GO OVER VERY WELL.

All I stated is that I personally do not see a point for a warm up period. Basketball is not football where collisions are a regular part of the sport and playing in the elements is also a factor. Basketball is played in a controlled environment. I do not see multiple players cramping up in basketball games where we have to stop the game for several minutes before we can play. That happens all the time in football and we easily might delay the game for 15 to 20 minutes for a game and for some reason we do not give a "special warm-up period" when an injury is taken care of. But in your logic, the only way players can "get ready to play" is by shooting baskets and running drills to get ready to play. I know that when halftime ends it is not uncommon for teams to not even shoot baskets and come out right before the second half starts. All I said is I did not see a point for it. That does not mean I could not be convinced. That does not mean a situation could not change my opinion. I just stated I do not see a point for it. Having been in that situation before (for some reason I have not heard you say anything about your experience with this kind of situation :rolleyes. In my situation there was no outcry for a warm up period. If anything the coaches wanted to start the game up as soon as possible. Now maybe if we are waiting for an hour or everyone had to go outside for a fire alarm, then that would change things. But remember we are talking about an injury, not those other kinds of situations.

I HAVE NOT HAD THIS KIND OF GAME SITUATION. BUT SAYING I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO COMMENT ON IT BECUASE I HAVE NOT BEEN IN THE SITUATION IS LIKE SAYING YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO BE A VARSITY REFEREE IF YOU DID NOT PLAY VARSITY BALL.

The bottom line is you do not know me.

CORRECT, AND I HAVE ONLY COMMENTED ON WHAT SEEMS LIKE AN ARROGANT ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE GAME THAT I HAVE SEEN EXHIBITED IN YOUR POSTS ON THIS TOPIC. YOU MAY BE MOTHER TERESA FOR ALL I KNOW.. BUT IN THIS OPEN AND HONEST EXCHANGE OF IDEAS.. I FEEL YOU COME OFF AS ARROGANT... BUT YOU HAVE YET TO PUT FORTH ANY GOOD REASONS FOR YOUR POINT OF VIEW OTHER THAN... "BECAUSE I SAID SO, AND I HAVE BEEN AROUND HERE A LONG TIME AND REFFED A LOT OF GAMES"

Don't you dare tell me what I think about the game and my job as an official.

NO COMMENT ON ANY OF THAT, JUST AN ARROGANT TONE TO THIS POST.

You probably could not hold my jock on the basketball court and probably do not have the respect I have earned working games over the years.

LIKELY

I am not paid to make everyone happy, none of us are. Our job is to make decisions that many times might be unpopular or when everyone cannot agree on.

BUT IN THIS CASE EVERYONE DID AGREE... THATS WHY YOUR DECISION SO PUZZLES ME.

Every situation does not come in a nice cardboard box with a ribbon on it. Sorry, but that just is not the real world. But then again, you seem to have no since of what that means.

NOT SURE WHAT THAT LAST LINE MEANS.