View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 10, 2001, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Willie - certainly I can see why you use that technique in your position. However, the argument seems to be that if a coach is telling you that your calls are garbage, he is just disagreeing with the call, not your ability to make it. I don't agree with that. IMHO, the coach is accusing you of not being able to make proper calls regardless of how he phrases it. In other words, he is stating you should not be out there making the calls, because you are incompetent to do so.

To me, attacking the action is attacking the person who made the action. After all, isn't a person's competency judged by their ability to make correct decisions? I feel that when a coach attacks my competency, he is attacking me as a person.

I guess I'll have the opportunity to put my theory to the test today, as I have three games this afternoon.
Mark --

My feeling is that you've already decided what you're LINE is, and that is "no comments at all." While that's not the stance I choose to take, that doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong, it just means we're different. If, however, you're going to take that stance, it's still fair to give the coaches a warning before banging them. They need to know that that behavior will be unacceptable on the days you officiate.

I would also say, as a potential partner of someone that has that philosophy, you should tell your co-official(s) in the pregame exactly what your line is and how you intend to enforce it. That way, if you whack a coach for something your partner chooses to ignore, at least your partner will know where you are coming from.

Jake