View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 01:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
My first question to you is: I would like to ask you why were your jackets still at the Scorer/Timer's Table. You should have taken your jackets with to the officials' dressing room at halftime. By you and your partner having to go back to the Table at the end of the game just puts you in harms way.

MTD, Sr. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, big mistake for leaving the jackets. I had a new official working his first time with me and he started asking questions and wanting to know how he did in the first half as soon as the first half was over.

I simply forgot and sure enough, when the game was over I realized I was going to have to go to the table where nothing good can happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by QuebecRef87
Strange behavior... How did you handle the situation?
This was a coach I had for two previous games in the season, both losses, and both games he had received a T from me. I just ignored him and walked away.

[/B][/QUOTE]djskinn,
Expect the request.
Then respect the request.
Grant the time-out immediately.
Apprently, because there was no horn, there was still time left.
mick
[/B][/QUOTE]

I may not have described the situation adequately, but I feel with a great degree of certainty Team A had no time left. Even if he had indicated a time-out, I know for sure their was less than a second when the initial shot was released by Team B, which resulted with Team A rebounding. I was the trail with a good view of the clock and shooter.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Great post, I think if the coach is petty enough to blackball you because he didn't get a call, then it's better off you only had to deal with him this time.[/B][/QUOTE]

Fortunetly, I work in North Carolina and to my knowledge we do not have a "blackball" process. I was not really worried concerned about his particular action, but had never had it occur during one my games, whether I was the referee or not.

This same coach sits the bench as an assistant for the same schools varsity, and I have had them as a varsity contest at least four times this season.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Serious question: Does everyone actually use jackets for underclass games? I'm never there at the beginning and I've never really noticed whether the JV officials have them.[/B][/QUOTE]

I treat all my games as if they are varsity games. I don't like taking any shortcuts and try and keep the same routine for all games. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's great, but a lot of JV officials around here probably (1) show up 5 minutes before gametime and (2) probably don't own jackets. Out in the rural areas, many don't even own black shoes or proper officiating pants. Or shirts with v-necks. Or Fox 40 whistles. Or they feel the need to wear a watch on the court. You get the picture.

I never show up until the second quarter or so, so I was just wondering.

--Rich