View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

To hear so many of you talking about your state just now considering going to 3 man crews for varsity levels, weak 3rd link, and last (but not least) budget constraints simply amazes me.

Here, in Alabama, the 46th-50th ranked state in about every state ranking in our country, we've been at the mandatory 3 man crew for ALL varsity level games (both regular season and playoffs, area/region/sectional/non-area regular season, etc) for 5 or 6 years now. And, we're ALWAYS way behind everyone else.

Yes, we heard the same issues brought up by the schools/coaches when the state made the choice to make it mandatory for all varsity level games to be 3 man crews. And, at first, their complaints were legit. There are still some nights when a lot of our varsity level officials can't work and the game load is heavy when our assignors have to reach down to the sub-varsity level pool of officials to bring up to complete the crews.

I live in the largest metro-sized area with the highest unemployment rate in the state. Our local association has approximately 90 members. We have contracts with 24 schools to provide their officials. I included this to let you know our area schools are no where near having lots of surplus money to throw around.

A few years back our local association board felt since the state made it mandatory for all varsity level games to be worked by 3 man crews, we should train our younger/newer officials at the sub-varsity levels working 3 person crews too. Our local board met with the schools, convinced them to 'invest' the money at the sub-varsity level to pay for the extra official. In a few years time, they would be able to see their 'investment' pay off as 'their' officials moving up to the varsity level would be much better prepared to work at the varsity level upon arrival.

Part of the agreement we made with the schools was a concession on our part in the amount of pay we would receive (individually). Normal game fees for 7th-9th grade games were $25 per offical. $25 x 2 (officials) = $50 per game for officials. Our board offered for us to work the games for $20 per official = $20 x 3 (officials) = $60 per game for officials the schools agreed to pay. JV games were $30 per official, we agreed to do those for $25 which meant the schools agreed to pay $75 per game versus $60 per game in a 2 man crew. We agreed to these rates for either one or two years, then the schools would agree to pay each official the standard rate as set by the state.

To say this has worked positively would be an understatement. We now have 2nd and 3rd year officals getting to come up and call some varsity level games. And, the vast majority of the ones that get to come up are competent to do the job. As all of you veteran officials know, there is nothing that can educate an official as much as game experience, so, there is nothing that can replace game experience for getting these level officials prepared for the highest intensity games. But, for a 2nd or 3rd year official, getting the opportunity to move up and work any varsity level game is a big stage and a great experience.

I know this post is lengthy, but, I also hope it might benefit some of you that have some pull with your local associations. If any of you would like more information or ideas that I haven't covered here, feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks for your time,

Lee

btw, I'm interested in seeing what each state has as a guideline/mandatory number of officials - varsity and sub-varsity levels - to officiate basketball games.

Please list your state and the # of officials required