Thread: BLARGE
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Is this happening to you every game?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Rut,

The more you work, the more you understand about the mechanics and when you might have a double whistle.

I agree with this obvious statement. But, I asked a lot of specific mechanic questions, but all you have said about the mechanics, so far, is to let the C take the ball to the basket????? Because you seem to be successful on avoiding this calamity, I asked you to share these mechanics.

No Ron. If you have 3 different opinions, someone is not watching off ball coverage.

On the contrary, we had 3 different opinions on play origination and spot of the crash BECAUSE we had off ball coverage. This is my point. At warp speed, primaries are sometimes are to discern.

Ron, this is really not that big of a deal. You seem to think that this is a major problem.

Not a major problem, but it pains me when people say a blarge can be EASILY be avoided by adhering to mechanics or by pregaming or by trusting your partner. About the only way that I think it can be avoided is to go with the fist only. This is what we have been trying to teach for the past several years. But, we see this more on games when we have 3 stronger, more experienced officials than on games where we might have a strong R, good U1 and a U2.

I have been working 3 Person for 9 years and I have had only one blarge in that period of time during the regular season. I had one happen during the summer but one of my partners was ball watching and not looking off ball. You have to trust your partner on the floor.

This one more than you had the last time we had this discussion. Which brings me to another point: YOU (Rut) may understand mechanics, YOU (Rut) may always be off ball, YOU (Rut) may always trust your partner, YOU (Rut) may always know your primary BUT your partner(s) might not. And, that is all it takes to have a blarge.

Peace