Thread: PC or Not?
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: It also says that contact is expected and contact that is severe may be considered in

Quote:
Originally posted by bellyache
how can you say this contact was incidental?
By definition of "incidental".

Quote:
everytime a player slaps for the ball but hits the arm, do you call this incidental? he didnt mean to foul he went for the ball.
No I wouldn't call it incidental. The act of "slapping" for a ball is unto itself an act of "intention". He was "intending" to "slap" for the ball and it wasn't an "incidental" act on his part.

Quote:
incidental may happen when diving for a loose ball, going around a screen, jump balls, or something like this. NOT trying to avoid a defender and knocking the opponent upside the head.
I would agree in your saying, "NOT trying to avoid a defender" would be cause for a foul. If he WAS trying to avoid the defender legitimately in my mind - and "incidental contact" occurs without advantage/disadvantage I'm letting it go.

Now "incidental contact" doesn't mean he can "try" to avoid the defender and still be allowed to plow through him, but if the defender has his beak stuck way in there and he gets clipped that's on him.

If A1 throws a forearm into B2's grill, even though he is "TRYING to avoid the defender" I got PC.

What I find humorous is, there are guys I officiated in football who will play and hit hard every play with an injury and never complain, but get them onto a basketball court and they become Oscar winning actors. I've smiled at a couple of them and told them to knock it off. Seems to clean up the overall play as well.