View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

QuebecRef87

You asked for honest feedback... So here it is:

I agree, the less said to coaches the better. That does not mean that you avoid them, but keep your contact with them professional (businesslike), clear, and concise. Like others have said before, DO NOT VERBALIZE ULTIMATUMS!”

Based on your post, it appears that you like to “overexplain” things, which makes you susceptible to further challenges. Usually a brief response in passing is enough to appease the coach. Examples: “Coach, I heard you.” “Coach, your player ... touched it last, had contact on the shooter, etc…” State, in as few words as possible, what you saw that caused the call or “no-call” the play. Most times, this will end the issue. If the coach wants to continue the challenge, end the conversation respectfully with a statement of this sort: "Coach, I have explained what I saw and that's my call."

If you feel it is necessary to redirect (throttle) a coach do it in a calm and collected manner, but with a firm voice. The classic action is to use the visual-to-all universal stop sign (hand up with palm facing the coach) “Coach, I have heard enough.” If the coach wants to continue the attack you have politely let the coach they have exceeded your tolerance and have earned the "T".

Ultimately, you will develop your own personal style and comfort zone of how to manage coaches effectively.

Best wishes with your upcoming games.

Willie