View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Re: Welcome to the board Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
Originally posted by coachmjw
I didn't argue the calls I just want to know if they were administered correctly. By knowing the right answers it will help my coaching.
This is a good approach to deal with officials when you are not confident you know the rule and/or application of the penalty.

Regarding situation #2:
I have troubles with interpretation of the way the penalty reads (notice my italicized statement):

Can B3’s unauthorized (Unbeckoned) “re-entry” into the game actually be assess as a substitute technical? The rule/penalty read:
Rule 10 Section 2
A substitute shall not enter the court:
Article 1 … without reporting to the scorer.
Article 2 … without being beckoned by an official, except between quarters.

PENALTY: (Art. 1, 2) Two free throws plus the ball for division-line throw-in. One foul for either or both requirements. Penalized if discovered before the ball becomes live.

Based on what coach said... B3 became the fifth player on the court, not the sixth player, during a live ball. It seems impossible that the officials could "discover" B3's entry onto the court BEFORE the ball becomes live in this situation.

Casebook 10-2-1 Situation B: indicates that a Technical CANNOT be charged after the ball becomes live. Am I misunderstanding something here?

To answer to the last part of your question coach...
Rule 3 Section 3 Article 2
A substitute becomes a player when s/he legally enters the court. If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live.

B3 became a legal player once s/he stepped onto the court during the live ball. Therefore, B3 can return to the court after the technical is assessed without further penalty.
Yes.

They are legal if they are on the floor and THEN the ball becomes live. They entered DURING a live ball 10.2.2.