View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

I use it.

I don't think of it as a mechanic - just a reminder and signal that the defender is off the ball too far. I also make a point NOT to hold the arms spread, just a quick "measure' and then drop 'em back down.

I view it as more of game management than anything.

NFHS does not have a "machanic" to warn players to "watch your hands" or "get outta the lane" either. Don't we all use those too?

But it is a mechanic and it doesn't belong in the high school game. When you use a non-fed mechanic and your partner doesn't, you end up looking out of balance. There is a mechanic for closely guarded - it's a visible count. When there is no visible count, then there is no closely guarded. Verbal warnings are not mechanics. This is no different than the tip signal. It only draws extra attention to ourselves and is just incorrect to use.

Many times, people complain about how inconsistent we are in repect to how we call the game. To me the mechanics are just like the lines on the court. They are specific, clear and black&white. There are no gray areas with our mechanics. All you have to do is use the specific mechanics in the book and everyone will at least be consistent in that respect.

Now that I've said that - how many different ways do people use to tell your partner that time is running out in the quarter?