View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:00pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Not So Uncommon

Quote:
Originally posted by danreeves1973
Maybe I just haven't called enough games or didn't play enough baseball when I was in school, but how often, realistically, are you going to have a situation where the ball is lodged in the mitt to the point to where it won't come out with two or three seconds of work?

Actaully I'm still trying to figure out how you can lodge a ball in a mitt so badly that you can't get it out by simply reachign in and pulling it out. I'm sure I'm overlooking the obvious so please sxplain it to me.

I've seen it happen on ESPN Sportscenter a couple of times, and it always involves F1. In fact, the MLB Umpire Manual recently posted an update at the end of Section 5 to cover this exact situation: The new interpretation goes on to emphasize that a ball stuck in a fielder's glove is not to be considered out of play; the ball remains live. It is legal for one fielder to throw the glove with a live ball stuck in it to another fielder. A fielder who possesses the ball/glove combination in his own hand or glove can complete a tag of a runner or base, just as if he were holding only the ball.

Manny
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker