View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Nevada-

I wasnt at the meeting. This is my understanding of a meeting between our official's rep and the varsity coaches mostly to discuss the longevity of 3 person mechanics for varsity (there is talk of going back to 2 and we dont want to) and to discuss a new evaluation system for officials that includes coach input following games. One thing that was discussed was the "injured player on ground" situation. I guess in my earlier post I made it seem like the "permission" of the coaches was sought. That probably wasnt the best way to put it, as I understand it. I think it was more of a "lets all get on the same page on this," type thing. We were told at an early meeting that "the varsity coaches all agree with us that player safety is paramount and that if lower level coaches give you grief tell them to go talk to the varsity coaches." I didnt in any way take this to mean that my judgment was affected by coach input. Merely that we had crossed our "t"s and dotted our "i" to help the younger officials at lower levels when we DO stop play.

This advice was accompanied by the instruction that if a player is down and apparently injured, we are to stop play in (essentially) all circumstances.

If my prior explanation caused a misunderstanding I appologize. I know the stoppage rule and my association knows the stoppage rule you quoted. Rainmaker, I agree with your comments above and I think that more accurately represents what I was trying to explain. Sorry if I didnt do that well

Clark

[Edited by totalnewbie on Jan 31st, 2005 at 02:05 AM]