View Single Post
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

My youngest's team attended a Metro tournament this past weekend and I saw some questionable calls that her manager called time and questioned.........(the manager seemed satisfied on all three and went back to his position)

Here they are in order......
(remember....I am only getting the managers side of the story....but he did not question any of them after the explanation from the umpire).

1. Ball hit to F6.......throw pulls F3 into the path of runner........F3 makes tag and the collision causes the ball to come loose from F3's glove.......Umpire calls OUT...
EXPLANATION.....F3 had control of the ball during the tag.......it was the collision that caused the ball to come loose. Manager asked if the runner intentionally tried to knock the ball loose........Umpire says no.......the throw carried F3 into the play......but she tagged the runner......therefore she is out.....

2. Shallow pop-up in front of the plate.......F1 rushes in and gloves the ball.....her momentum carries her forward for several steps into foul territory........she finally loses her ballance and falls to the ground where the ball comes lose. UMPIRE has already called an out while F1 is still reeling forwards..........he tells coach that F1 held the ball for 2 seconds and that the ground cannot cause a drop.

3. Bases loaded.......ball hit to F5 playing in.......she gloves the ball and beats the runner advancing from third to the plate.......she touches the plate, turns and while taking the ball from her glove.....drops it.....Umpire calls OUT......then safe after the miscue.......Umpire tells coach that she did not have control of the ball......therefore he changed his out to a safe.

I saw all three plays this weekend.......but just tonight got the (2nd hand) information from the Manager.......

I feel that all three of these calls were protestable.......

Whay say you??

Joel