Thread: Airborn Shooter
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Haven’t been around much this year so if one of my fellow association members, who hangout here, has posted this situation will someone please point me to it.

This situation, call, and subsequent action has caused a good bit of discussion in our association. Before I get into it I have to say that I was not there but I worked with one of the refs (the R in the game) a few nights later and I also work in the same office as our interpreter so I have heard the situation from two good sources.

As I understand it – Boy’s game, A1 goes up for a jump shot and while still in the air is hit on the arm hard enough to dislodge the ball from his hand. Play takes place in C’s area and he has a good view of it. C blows his whistle on the hit, fist goes up and the other arm goes up to signal two shots. “A1 is still in the air” and “before he lands” regains control of the ball, shoots and makes the basket. The 3 refs and the closest coach all agree that this is the situation. The furthest coach only disagreement was that he thought the signal was a jump ball. So the facts of the situation are not disputed.

The decision - Refs conference and award 2 points to A and give the ball to B who can run the baseline.

Any thoughts?