Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 08:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

That's not the best way to word it. The rule is Team A can't be both the last to touch before it went into backcourt, and the first to touch after it was in the backcourt. So if A1 is in front court, and bounces the ball along the division line, and it hits the floor in the back court, A1 was the last person to touch before it went into backcourt. Now if A2 is the next to touch and the ball hasn't bounced back in the frontcourt, even if A2's feet are in frontcourt, that's BC. If I'm reading this play correctly, I've got a BC violation.
Juulie,
The only addition I would make would be to say it doesn't matter if the ball bounces back into the front court before being touched by A2. Once they've established FC status and team control, and the ball hits the backcourt (assuming A1 is last to touch before it goes to the backcourt), it will be a violation for A to be the first to touch the ball; even if it bounces all the way to the FC basket.
this play is a violation.
This is an interesting interpretation I have not heard before. I am not sure I agree with that. How can you have a back court violation by touching a ball with front court status? Is there some case play of which I am unaware? Please cite your justification for this interp. Thanks.
Rule 9-9-1 is the pertinent rule. Last touched by A in the front court--then first touched by an A player after the ball had gone into the backcourt. There's no stipulation in this rule saying that the ball has to stay in the backcourt--just go into the backcourt.