View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

This is a pre-game issue. Usually I want fouls I have missed to be called in my area and only huge, obvious violations. But sometimes I let stuff go depending on the play. This is especially true down low. A slight bump by the defender may have caused a slight shuffle by the offensive player. I chose to pass on both the foul and the violation in order to allow the play to develop. If I have a partner that only sees and calls the violation, and misses the defender's bump, then we have a sticky mess. I pre-game these situations with my partners. It then helps us to trust one another as the game progresses.

You have a primary area, usually with some action going on. I trust my partners to cover that action while I cover my primary. If you are looking outside your area you will miss the screens that are not set, the pushes, the holds, the "chicken wing" elbows that you should be calling. You will miss the shoves and displacements that go on during rebounds. I find I do not have time to look outside of my area - there is too much action going on.

I can't say this enough - trust your partners.