View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Those questions surely back the coach into a corner - THERE IS ONLY ONE ALLOWABLE ANSWER.

So, there is no reason to ask the question UNLESS you are planning to hold him to his answer. "Coach you said you would display good sportsmanship."

But don't we already hold the coach accountable for good sportsmanship? It is obvious that we expect good sportsmanship from the coach and players. We penalize for bad sportsmanship independent of the questions and independent of the answer. The questions are meaningless and hence the answers are meaninless too.

So, the requirement to ask the questions is really kind of stupid too. I'm sorry, meaningless, not stupid. But in light of that, the coach's answers should be taken for what they probably were... humor. I don't think any official should be prying the approved answer out of a coach by asking the same question three times. That is definitely demeaning, belittling, and confrontational. It is demanding the coach to be subservient. That is wrong.

"And here are our usual, required questions...1, 2, 3. Okay let's have a great game. Good Luck to you both." If I was required to ask such questions I would not even wait for the answers - just move on.

$0.25