Thread: Three Seconds
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I hate calling it, I won't watch for it. The only time I really call it is when someone plants themselves and grows roots and doesn't move. If they're moving within the key I'm going to focus on other things like off ball contact or the ball if it's in my primary. I'm sure a coach would rather me call an illegal screen than 3 seconds anyday.
I both coach and officiate. As an official, I can't say that finding 3-second lane violations are a priority and I agree that it becomes most noticeable when an offensive player truly sets up camp and doesn't move. As a coach, however, I urge, URGE my colleagues in officiating to NOT ignore noticed 3-second violations just because they're not extreme. As has been observed above, a player who doesn't fully get out of the lane (even if "moving around") can gain a considerable rebounding advantage (et al.) which, by rule, the player is not supposed to have.

Again, I've got no problem with officials who are busy looking for other things, but please, if the violation occurs, call it. :-)