Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
2. a player that camped out gains no advantage and to call it right about the time he catches the pass. At that point he then gained an advantage.

What about when that player that was camped out has a rebound drop right in his lap and he puts it back in at the buzzer to win the game?
This won't happen with me. Along with cowbyfan1's conditions, I also call it when there's a shot taken after an attacking player has been in the key for "3 seconds". But when I see a player is standing in the key for too long, I verbally warn him to get out and it usually solves the problem.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Coach A makes sure I understand that he's been around basketball long enough to know the rules. I said OK but knew this was supposed to be him setting the table. B's big man is doing a good job working in and out, Coach A want 3 seconds called. He yells out; "he's been in there his whole life". I couldn't help but laugh.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I hate calling it, I won't watch for it. The only time I really call it is when someone plants themselves and grows roots and doesn't move. If they're moving within the key I'm going to focus on other things like off ball contact or the ball if it's in my primary. I'm sure a coach would rather me call an illegal screen than 3 seconds anyday.
I both coach and officiate. As an official, I can't say that finding 3-second lane violations are a priority and I agree that it becomes most noticeable when an offensive player truly sets up camp and doesn't move. As a coach, however, I urge, URGE my colleagues in officiating to NOT ignore noticed 3-second violations just because they're not extreme. As has been observed above, a player who doesn't fully get out of the lane (even if "moving around") can gain a considerable rebounding advantage (et al.) which, by rule, the player is not supposed to have.

Again, I've got no problem with officials who are busy looking for other things, but please, if the violation occurs, call it. :-)
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Do you hear anything yelled from the stands more than "3 seconds?" I doubt there is one rule that fewer people understand in the book than this one. And have you ever called it at 3? WIth me it's more like 6 or 8 or wake him up and tell him to move now.

over the back!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33 View Post
over the back!
Did you look at the date when this thread was started?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 08:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Did you look at the date when this thread was started?
I think it was about the last time I had a 3-second violation.
Closed Thread