View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
First, the Hula Bowl uses NCAA rules which unlike NFHS rules depend not upon the initial direction of the pass but the yard line where the pass is received relative to the point of release -- they just have enough officials to be able to properly cover it, some NFHS contests still use three.

While I did not see the play from your description it sounds like a breakaway that was covered by a single official who may have not been in position to conclusively rule, therefore, no flag.
Actually, the R was in front of the play, and the wing man was trailing the play, as obviously the defender was much faster than him, but he made the call, not the R. As far as the NCAA ruling on where caught compared to where released, they definitely got the call correct. The wing man did a great job, cuz where the R was it would be almost impossible for him to rule on it.

This is definitely an easier call in NCAA, where is is where he touched it compared to where he released it. I should have stated the "problem" I discussed is an NF one, not NCAA. That would be a nice change for NF.