View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Everybody has been quick here to say this foul is on the defense. I am going to say HOLD ON! not quite so fast..

Lets go back to our basketball fundamentals. If the defense has jumped first which both at least the first play says and implies in the second. (yes, over committed) He is entitled to the spot on the floor. This is no different than when a defender takes away the landing spot for the offensive shooter. If the landing spot is taken away by the offense then it is a foul on the offensive player.

Why would we let an offensive player commit a foul, that we would clearly call on the defense if the roles were reversed?

Play 1 defense jumps FIRST and will go to side of player and Offense jumps into an airborne defender. I cant see how you would ever call this on the defense... No call a minimum... but offense takes away landing spot by causing contact, jumps into path to draw foul, initiates the contact, and we want to penalize the defender, PC foul may be a harder sell but I think the rules require it.

I have to agree with this position in Play 1. If it is clear that B1's path will take him pass A1 without contact, and A1 jumps INTO his path I have nothing or a player control foul on A1 (probably nothing).

Now...in Play 2, I have a foul on B1. If B1 complains...I just quote my boss "Sucks to be you."

Ok...probably wouldn't say that to B1...but I would think it.