View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zanzibar
I have 2 similar cases.
Case 1: B1 is running out to defend the jump shot. B1 is going "nearly" straight at the shooter A1. B1 jumps about 5 feet forward to contest the shot but clearly is going past the shooter without contact. B1 does jump first. The shooter jumps sideways and creates contact. Who is the foul on?

Case 2: Similar case. B1 is running out to defend the jump shot. This time B1 does not take a path beside the shooter, but is going straight at the shooter. B1 has body control when he jumps to contest the shot. B1's body is going to stop about a foot before he gets to the shooter. B1 is clearly not going to make contact with A1 the shooter if A1 goes straight up with the shot. If A1 jumps forward into B1, who is the foul on?

Summation:
It seems to me that an airborne player can not change his path or to backup, therefore it should be a foul on the shooter in these cases. I hear other opinions. Help would be appreciated.
Jumping first does not matter here.

If B1 runs out to defend, hits the spot with both feet on the floor facing A1, then jumps, and does that BEFORE A1 leaves the floor it is different.

You have horizontality by B1, not verticality in your descriptions.

Anytime a defender jumps or moves toward a shooter they put themselves at risk.

[Edited by blindzebra on Jan 19th, 2005 at 03:35 PM]