Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It's not going to be a foul on the shooter in either situation. The defender does not have LGP, nor is he within his verticality.

Change the plays and have the defender doing the same thing, only not airborne. What do you have?
I still have a foul on the defense. Defender moves into the path of an airborne shooter - that's a block. Did I miss something?
I'm thinking the first play could be a no-call, Smitty. If the defender is clearly planning to go past the shooter, and shooter moves sideways toward the defender, that's sure not a defensive foul, even if it's not offensive, either. (Hey, look, MTD, those words go well in that sentence!)

On the second one, I think I'd have to be there. If A1 alters his path to draw a foul, I may no-call it, but it's hard to tell from this description.
You could be right - it's just so hard to have the same image of plays when they are described in this way. Judgement call plays are always the hardest to get a mojority agreement on. Even if we all saw the play, we might all have differing opinions on how it should be called.