Thread: teaching point
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Another reason I officiate and avoid coaching. Talk about a tough call - I'll take a block/charge any day over coaching.

Your situation is sort of like "don't clip" in football. Teaching a kid to "don't clip" causes the kid to hesitate which is disaster. Teach him, instead, to "get there!" With the break-away lay-up, stress the "ball" rather than "prevent the basket" - (get a piece of the ball rather than simply "prevent the basket"). They're kids and who knows what they'll do in an actual game. Reward the positive examples and stress the actionable positive of "getting the ball" rather than coach the negative, say your prayers and hang on tight. Same seems to work in officiating, work on the actionable positives (get the right angle, referee the defense, focus on your primary, versus don't get straight lined, don't be late, don't call out of your area, etc.) As in life, there is typically more success in positive actions rather than "avoiding" negatives - "play to win" vs. "trying not to lose".

I'm with the majority, tread lightly on this one - precarious situation, for a coach, at best. Give me a block/charge any day!