Old Fri May 18, 2001, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I didn't say that tossing the ball at the official is a violation. I'm saying if the ball hits the official, who's OOB, it's a violation. I'm also not necessarily advocating calling it. I would probably step out of the way and call the ball OOB when it hit the bleachers, a fan or something else that was OOB. But I would love to see the rule that states that it isn't a violation. Can you supply it?

Yes. Rule 4-4-2. "A ball which touches...an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location"
Thank you! That's what I wanted. Someone to back up his argument with a rule!

4-4-4 is applies to the location of the ball when it hits a player or an official. But I'm not convinced that it applies in an OOB sitch. The rule is very clear that if the ball is passed, it must be to a teammate who is OOB or passed directly inbounds. A player who tosses the ball to the official has done neither.

If A1 has the ball inbounds, throws it and hits the back of the backboard, it IS the same as hitting the floor OOB, because the back of the backboard is OOB.

I believe this to be one of the situations that is not covered specifically by the rules. When we make an interpretation, we can apply different rules and come up with different interpretations. Might be a good one to ask your Mr. Mayo about! [/B]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith