Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
3 seconds, "Get out.'

5 seconds on throw in, "Get it in."

10 second back court, "Get it across."

5 second closely guarded, "Do something."

"Hands," once and then handcheck or hold.

Knee lift, "Get your knee out," once and then foul.

"Easy, stop pushing."

"Wait for the ball," when jockeying prior to a throw in.

"Straight up," when the chicken fighting starts on a free throw.

I've told my partner, while lining up for free throws "We are watching these two," and not in his ear either, but from 10 feet away.

I've gone to players, that were getting frustrated or looking for contact every trip down the floor, and told them to knock it off and play ball.

To coaches:

"It's like Jeopardy, it's got to be in a form of a question," when they are making statements AT US.

"Where are you at coach," for the box-impared.
I'm a little suprised to see some of these!

You give warnings on counts? Do you also tell the defense..."Just 1 more second!"???
Do you tell a player to get out of the lane on 3 seconds?

Why should other timing violations be different?

Since this is about preventive officiating, I'll do a pre-emptive strike on your answer.

The other team's defensive effort could be what is causing a near 3 second violation.
I do sometimes tell a player to get out of the lane. Sometimes I don't. I don't if it is good defense that lead to it. Of course, its usually not due to good defense...the player is certainly free to move out in nearly every case.

What are we preventing by telling them? Are we taking away a well-earned turnover?

I like to reward good defense. They play a crushing press cleanly for 10 seconds...they're getting the ball. Why should I help the offense avoide the turnover?

I completely agree with preventative officiating when it is not a direct part of the play where it can erase a good effort one team or the other.