Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Quote:

Not when the ball is in the hands of a player for inbounding and the instruction is to the defender guarding the inbound pass..... which is the only situation where I use "don't reach".
"Straight up," is better in that situation anyway because you are talking about a plane.
I disagree - the warning & subsequent T are for reaching across the boundary line - "don't reach" is about as clear as you can get.

[Edited by TimTaylor on Jan 17th, 2005 at 05:48 PM]

No the warning is for BREAKING the plane, not reaching across the plane.

When a player hears straight up, their reaction is normally to put their hands up and stop leaning into the plane.

The word REACHING should NEVER be used by an official, EVER.
Coach I am reaching my limit here..... [/B]
Not even then.

Arm extended with palm facing the coach with, "I have heard enough, coach."
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

LOL point taken

Ok that was a good one...I will keep thinking here LOL
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[The word REACHING should NEVER be used by an official, EVER. [/B]
I completely agree with this.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I was reaching

I was reaching for my whistle when the foul occured?? to explain a late whistle??
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I was reaching

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
I was reaching for my whistle when the foul occured?? to explain a late whistle??
Nope,

"It was late, but it was right."
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
3 seconds, "Get out.'

5 seconds on throw in, "Get it in."

10 second back court, "Get it across."

5 second closely guarded, "Do something."

"Hands," once and then handcheck or hold.

Knee lift, "Get your knee out," once and then foul.

"Easy, stop pushing."

"Wait for the ball," when jockeying prior to a throw in.

"Straight up," when the chicken fighting starts on a free throw.

I've told my partner, while lining up for free throws "We are watching these two," and not in his ear either, but from 10 feet away.

I've gone to players, that were getting frustrated or looking for contact every trip down the floor, and told them to knock it off and play ball.

To coaches:

"It's like Jeopardy, it's got to be in a form of a question," when they are making statements AT US.

"Where are you at coach," for the box-impared.
I'm a little suprised to see some of these!

You give warnings on counts? Do you also tell the defense..."Just 1 more second!"???
Do you tell a player to get out of the lane on 3 seconds?

Why should other timing violations be different?

Since this is about preventive officiating, I'll do a pre-emptive strike on your answer.

The other team's defensive effort could be what is causing a near 3 second violation.
I do sometimes tell a player to get out of the lane. Sometimes I don't. I don't if it is good defense that lead to it. Of course, its usually not due to good defense...the player is certainly free to move out in nearly every case.

What are we preventing by telling them? Are we taking away a well-earned turnover?

I like to reward good defense. They play a crushing press cleanly for 10 seconds...they're getting the ball. Why should I help the offense avoide the turnover?

I completely agree with preventative officiating when it is not a direct part of the play where it can erase a good effort one team or the other.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
3 seconds, "Get out.'

"Easy, stop pushing."

"Wait for the ball," when jockeying prior to a throw in.

"Straight up," when the chicken fighting starts on a free throw.

I've told my partner, while lining up for free throws "We are watching these two," and not in his ear either, but from 10 feet away.

I've gone to players, that were getting frustrated or looking for contact every trip down the floor, and told them to knock it off and play ball.

To coaches:

"It's like Jeopardy, it's got to be in a form of a question," when they are making statements AT US.

"Where are you at coach," for the box-impared.
I'm a little suprised to see some of these!

You give warnings on counts? Do you also tell the defense..."Just 1 more second!"???
Do you tell a player to get out of the lane on 3 seconds?

Why should other timing violations be different?

Since this is about preventive officiating, I'll do a pre-emptive strike on your answer.

The other team's defensive effort could be what is causing a near 3 second violation.
I do sometimes tell a player to get out of the lane. Sometimes I don't. I don't if it is good defense that lead to it. Of course, its usually not due to good defense...the player is certainly free to move out in nearly every case.

What are we preventing by telling them? Are we taking away a well-earned turnover?

I like to reward good defense. They play a crushing press cleanly for 10 seconds...they're getting the ball. Why should I help the offense avoide the turnover?

I completely agree with preventative officiating when it is not a direct part of the play where it can erase a good effort one team or the other.
Where did I say what circumstances I say anything?

You have never had a coach talking to their player while the ball was coming up the court without defensive pressure?

Have you ever had a defender within 6 feet, but was not actively guarding?

Have you ever had a kid take the ball, wait a couple of seconds and then hit the ball yelling, "Break," on a throw in?

If we are talking the defense out of contact that is bordering on a foul, are we not penalizing the offense?

It is all about judgment, we pick and choose, and prevent what we can.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not when the ball is in the hands of a player for inbounding and the instruction is to the defender guarding the inbound pass..... which is the only situation where I use "don't reach".
"Straight up," is better in that situation anyway because you are talking about a plane.
I disagree - the warning & subsequent T are for reaching across the boundary line - "don't reach" is about as clear as you can get.

When a player hears straight up, their reaction is normally to put their hands up and stop leaning into the plane.

The word REACHING should NEVER be used by an official, EVER. [/B]
You might want to read casebook 7.6.3.C & 9.2.11.B - the specific terminology used by NFHS is "reaches through". The warning for violation of 7.6.3.C is for delay - boundary line violation, but the action that precipitates the warning is reaching through the boundary line.

Also see items 3 & 4 of the penalty section at the end of 9-2 in the rule book - both use the specific terminology "reaches through the throw-in boundary".

Making eye contact with a defender bellying up to the sideline and saying "don't reach" before handing the ball to the thrower is clear and unambiguous - and it works. You can use what you want, but since that is the specific terminology used by NFHS, it will continue to be my terminology of choice until they decide to change it.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You might want to read casebook 7.6.3.C & 9.2.11.B - the specific terminology used by NFHS is "reaches through". The warning for violation of 7.6.3.C is for delay - boundary line violation, but the action that precipitates the warning is reaching through the boundary line.

Also see items 3 & 4 of the penalty section at the end of 9-2 in the rule book - both use the specific terminology "reaches through the throw-in boundary".

Making eye contact with a defender bellying up to the sideline and saying "don't reach" before handing the ball to the thrower is clear and unambiguous - and it works. You can use what you want, but since that is the specific terminology used by NFHS, it will continue to be my terminology of choice until they decide to change it. [/B]
Any official that uses the term "REACHING" on a basketball court keeps a myth alive.

Both rules, you cite do not use the term reaching, they say the defender may not have ANY part of their body through the boundary plane, or a warning occurs.

The penalty areas you hold up, are dealing with contact with the thrower or the ball which goes beyond a warning it is a technical foul or intentional foul, so you are connecting "reaching" with a foul.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

Wrong BZ, read them again. Both 2004-2005 casebook situations that I cited specifically use the phrase "B1 reaches through the boundary line plane" - that's a direct quote.

Whether they simply violate the plane, or commit a technical or intentional foul by touching the ball or thrower respectively is irrelevant with regard to this discussion - all occur during a throw-in. The precise action that is clearly stated by NFHS as precipitating the warning/penalty is reaching through the boundary line plane.

I would never use the terms "don't reach" while the ball is in play on the court, but in the specific context of the throw-in, I believe it is perfectly acceptable terminology for the reasons I have previously cited. As I said earlier, it's clear, concise, and it works - and further I have never had a problem or misunderstanding using this technique, nor a negative comment from any partner or evaluator.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Don't be reaching for that check, partner.

Let me push it over to you.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Talking Ball-peen or sledge

Which kind of hammer do you require when BREAKING the plane?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In the post, I'll warn with "Straight up!", or "Don't hold!"

During a throw-in:
  • If I'm administering, I always (even on a sideline throw-in) say "Spot!" if it's from a designated spot.
  • If the defender is standing right up to the OOB line, I say "Don't reach across."
  • If I'm not administering, I will sometimes say "Don't push!" or "Straight up!" if there are 9 guys all jockeying for position.

I often say "No hands!" when a defender is "measuring up" the dribbler.

To the coach, "I need you to find your box, please."
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

How about screening?

Off-ball screens are generally sloppy.

Lately I've taken to telling players to "make a good screen." This is for the minor infractions that really don't affect the defense because the defense is already six steps behind. Any last second knocking of defenders I call immediately.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

I would never warn on these counts. I'm not such a big fan of warning on the 3 seconds either. If it (3 seconds) needs to be called then call it, if it's borderline ignore it.

Knee to the @ss in the post and handcheck should be a whistle without a warning IMO.
Quote:

Yeah, having a quick word with a player often gets them on the same page as you.